Skip page navigation

Twitter icon Facebook icon

IUPUI Office of
International Admissions

902 W. New York St.,
ES 2126
Indianapolis, IN 46202 USA
Phone: (317) 274-7000
Fax: (317) 278-2213

Front Desk Hours
Monday - Friday,
9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.

image: IUPUI is a leading urban university campus where students earn degrees from Indiana University or Purdue University.

Apply Now to Attend IUPUI

Do you need to update your previous IUPUI application? If so, you must contact your department about updating your application or deferring your enrollment.

Before You Proceed: Verify Admission Requirements

If you have not done so already, please contact the program to which you are applying for program-specific application requirements, instructions, and deadlines. You may be able to link directly to the on-line application from the program web site. If you cannot find information about applying for admission in your department's website, you may return here for application options.

Click here for Graduate/Professional Program Contact Information.

Application Checklist

Apply Now!

Non-Degree Information


Information for F1/J1/F2/B2 visa holders:

See our Glossary of U.S. Higher Education Terms


Application Fee

The application fee is not refundable and is required of all applicants. Payment may be made by major credit card (Visa, MasterCard, Discover or AmEx).

Contact the IUPUI Help Desk if you are unable to submit payment online.

» Return to top of the page

English Proficiency Requirements

If English is not your native language, you must demonstrate proficiency in English before you can be admitted to IUPUI.

Click here to read IUPUI's requirements for graduate students.

Intensive English Language Study at IUPUI

If you do not meet IUPUI's English language requirement, you can study English intensively at the ELS Language Centers (located in downtown Indianapolis, just four blocks from IUPUI). ELS Language Centers is authorized to issue I-20s for student visas. To strengthen your visa application to study at ELS, you should submit a complete application (except for English proficiency results) to IUPUI. Please indicate on your application that you intend to enroll at ELS Language Centers in Indianapolis.

Semi-Intensive English Language Study at IUPUI

IUPUI offers a semi-intensive English for Academic Purposes (EAP) Program for admitted students. After arrival, non-native English speakers take the IUPUI EAP Placement Test. If your TOEFL score is below 80 (iBT), 550 (PBT) or 213 (CBT), you will probably need to take one or more supplemental EAP courses to help you develop additional language proficiency. These courses are taken alongside courses required for your academic program and count towards full-time enrollment.

» Return to top of the page

Official Academic Records

You must submit official transcripts, including work already completed and work currently in progress. The records should show a complete list of courses taken, grades received and any diplomas or certificates earned. Transcripts should also indicate the number of credits awarded for each course or the number of hours of classroom, lecture, and laboratory and include information about the school's grading scale.

Click here for detailed requirements.

If the original documents are not in English, a verified translation must be sent with your official transcripts in your native language.

Learn more about transcript translation.

Document Policy

All materials submitted in support of an IUPUI application become the property of IUPUI and are not returnable, forwarded, copied, or released to the student or to third parties. This includes financial documentation submitted for purposes of obtaining a student or scholar visa. Students are advised to bring additional copies of their official educational documents in envelopes signed, sealed and stamped by the issuing institution should they have need of their official educational documents while in the U.S.

» Return to top of the page

Test Scores

Your department may require one or more of the following tests. Minimum scores required vary and are determined by the graduate program.

For all required tests (including TOEFL), you must request that the testing agencies send official score reports to IUPUI. You may also wish to submit photocopies of your test results to ensure receipt of scores.

IUPUI's Testing Services Codes: 1325

  • GRE: Many graduate studies committees require that you take the Graduate Record Examination General (GRE) Test. Check with the committee for more information. All fellowship applicants are required to take the GRE.
  • GMAT: Graduate programs in Business and Accounting require that you take the Graduate Management Admissions Test (GMAT).
  • CGFNS: Applicants to graduate nursing programs are required to take the Council of Graduates of Foreign Nursing Schools qualifying examination (CGFNS) as a prerequisite for the State Licensure Examination for nurses in Indiana. Applicants must hold current nursing licenses in their home countries and achieve licensure in Indiana prior to enrollment in clinical nursing courses at IUPUI.
  • LSAT: All applicants to the School of Law must take the Law School Admission Test (LSAT).

» Return to top of the page

Financial Support Agreement

If you are requesting an I-20 in order to obtain a student visa, you must submit financial documentation verifying your ability to pay your tuition and living expenses.

Download and complete the Financial Instructions and attached Financial Support Agreement and the review the Financial Information for Graduate and Professional International Students for your first year of study at IUPUI. The forms explain the estimated expenses for which you will be responsible as well as the financial documentation requirements that need to be met to receive an I-20 or DS-2019, the Certificate of Eligibility for an F-1 or J-1 Student Visa.

» Return to top of the page

Immigration Documentation

Non-U.S. residents: Submit a photocopy of your passport page showing your name and date of birth. If you are currently in the U.S., submit a photocopy of your I-94 Arrival/Departure Record and visa stamp.

U.S. residents, refugees, or asylees: Your most recently issued U.S. immigration document such as Resident Alien Card or USCIS Approval Notice.

Review restrictions on study for certain visa holders (B-1/B-2, F-1 OPT, F-2, J-1).

» Return to top of the page

Letters of Recommendation

Graduate applicants typically need three letters of recommendation from major professors in their most recent degree program. Those not currently in school may include a letter from a past or current employer as one of the three. Check with your program about any specific requirements for recommendation letters.

» Return to top of the page